30 November 2016
Hello there, long time no see! If you follow me on social media then you'll know that I've gotten married! In fact I've just returned from my honeymoon in the Caribbean, all in time for Blogmas. To make life even more difficult for myself I've also decided to have a go at Vlogmas, in a weekly format though, not daily, as I still have to work full time!
Todays 1st Blogmas post isn't actually festive related at all i'm afraid! But it does have lots of sparkle, so that surely makes up for it right?
I wanted to share with you some of the accessories I had for my wedding day, that made me feel extra special, and glamorous. Maybe you're engaged and are looking for inspiration, or perhaps you have an eye for all things glittery? then this post is for you!
I bought this clutch bag about two weeks after we got engaged (which was 4 years ago ahh!). I loved the pearl detail, and sparkly silver clip top. I already had a vague idea of how I wanted our wedding to look, even at that early stage.
Although, this bag may no longer be available, as it was from an independent stall in Derby, there are lots of similar ones on the highstreet. New look & Asos are good places to look.
If you've read my previous wedding-related posts, you will have seen these stunning diamond earrings. They made me feel so special and really pulled my look together, they are dainty yet show stoppers at the same time. I loved how they twinkled as they caught the light. You can find these exact earrings at Goldsmith's.
I picked up this bracelet from Debenhams, it matched my hair vine (also from Debenhams) perfectly. The style is unusual, it reminded me of winter flowers and snow, so it fit our theme wonderfully. It's a delicate piece that looks elegant on the wrist, nothing too flashy but enough to catch your eye.
I ordered this garter, along with my wedding lingerie (not photographed, as no one needs to see that!) from Asos. It was just what I was looking for, a simple lace design, with a blue bow. It fit lovely and was really comfortable all day. I was worried about wearing a garter at first, as I didn't want it digging into me all day, but this was really soft and I even forgot I had it on!
My perfume was a treat from my Husband (going to keep saying that as often as I can!) I wanted something new that I could wear on special occasions, that would always remind me of our day. After sniffing around numerous department stores (literally!) I came across this gorgeous scent by Givenchy. It's fresh, floral and very me. It wasn't too overpowering, but smelt divine.
Finally the best until last, my beautiful shoes. These were my biggest bargain ever! They are Benjamin Adams and should have retailed for around £250, but I found them in the TK Maxx sale in January, for just £59! I scooped them up in the blink of an eye, and i'm so glad I did. They only have a small heel so were really comfortable to walk in, I managed to walk down the aisle, and not fall flat on my face, so that's a bonus in my eyes! Plus look at that sparkle!
So there are my bridal accessories. I treasure every piece, and they will always be my most special items, to wear for those precious occasions in the future.
I hope that you have enjoyed day 1 of my Blogmas, and wish me luck that I manage to stick to it! Day two will be more along the festive lines I promise!
17 November 2016
You have your dress, now it's time to get your jewellery. You have an idea of what you want, but as soon as your faced with those display cabinets adorned with jewelled delights, you're overcome with confusion. There's so many styles, designs and colours to choose from. How can you possibly narrow it down?
Here are my top tips for choosing your wedding jewellery.
1. Like dress shopping, go in with an open mind. Be prepared to look at styles you may not have considered before.
2. Have an image of your dress, either fresh in your mind, or as a photo on your phone. This will make it easier to choose your jewellery, as you know exactly how your dress looks, and you can keep referring back to it when you need to.
3. Trust your jewellery consultant. I explained the theme of our wedding and the style of my dress to my consultant, whom then went on to pick out some jewellery pieces that she thought fitted well with what I wanted. This helped me so much, as your not faced with too many options and you won't begin to feel overwhelmed.
4. Focus on the style of your dress. Is it strapless? If so a necklace would look beautiful with this style. Is it halter neck ? Then make your earrings the accessory. It's all about finding a balance, if you have a statement necklace, then simple earrings would work well too.
5. Another thing to consider is your hairstyle. If your wearing your hair down do you want droplet earrings or studs? Both of these create an elegant sophisticated look.
I ended up choosing these stunning diamond droplet earrings*. They work well with the style of my dress (which I won't be revealing yet, but keep your eyes peeled! It's only 2 days away!) and they also will look great with how I'm having my hair. My jewellery consultant at Goldsmith's in Derby's Intu Centre really helped me narrow my choice down. However, these were the first pair that I knew I loved, and the rest didn't come as close. Go with your gut, and remember to have fun!
I hope you found these tips helpful,
do you have any of your own you'd like to add?
*Items in this post were gifted to me. All opinions expressed are my own.
11 November 2016
As soon as bonfire night has passed my mind turns to my festive winter wardrobe. The weather has really dropped in temperature now and the shops are adorned with festive knits and luxurious coats. If you don't have an endless pot of money to spend on a new festive wardrobe, here are five ways to easily update your wardrobe on a budget.
1. My first tip would be to dig out all of your knitwear from last year. Knitwear never goes out of fashion, so therefore why buy a whole lot of new jumpers, when you already have a stash at home ready to wear? Evaluate what you have, and what you might want to buy. If you're not into big chunky knitwear, roll necks are the perfect alternative, as they're made with thinner material yet still keep you really cosy.
2. Accessories are essential. As mentioned in my previous How to nail transitional dressing, accessories really can make an outfit. Instead of light layers and thin scarves, winter is all about the thick blanket scarves, chunky bobble hats and warm golden brown hues. I absolutely adore this mustard bobble hat from Primark. It fits perfectly with my winter wardrobe, and keeps me extremely cosy on those blustery cold days. It was a bargain for just £2.00, and really adds that pop of colour to my outfit.
You can dress up an old coat with a soft, faux fur, stole, or a chunky, cable knit scarf. Hide that windswept hair under a stylish bobble hat, or sleek fedora. Keep those fingers warm in soft gloves. The list is endless.
3. Another way to update your winter wardrobe is with a practical pair of boots. Now I know there are some stunning embroided, velvet, heeled boots out there, but really how much wear will you get out of them? What your wardrobe needs is a trusty pair of weather appropriate boots. These brown, knee high, flat boots are from New Look last year, they have been worn so many times and are still a firm favourite in this year's wardrobe.
Think about your current wardrobe and what style boot will go with all of your outfits, whether it be a cute Chelsea boot, some on trend knee highs, or a vibrant pair of wellies. Which are also high on my wish list for all the winter walks I like to take!
4. If you do feel like you have some cash to spare, why not choose to add one statement piece into your winter wardrobe, for example, a stand out coat or new bag. Outfit building is made so much easier when you're basing it around one key piece.
This year I'm looking to add a long, grey, wool style coat into my winter wardrobe. I think they look perfect with jeans and little black boots, but also they're great to layer over party dresses, to keep you that bit warmer!
These are my five ways to prepare your wardrobe for winter. I hope you've found this post interesting and please let me know if there's anything you think that I've missed!
5 November 2016
After a day of exploring the gorgeous city of Canterbury, we were left feeling peckish. We browsed the various restaurants along the way, when we stumbled across this quaint, monochrome kitchen, nestled on the bustling main street.
The modern, striking, exterior really attracted our attention and drew us in to find out more.
The atmosphere and décor inside Skinny Kitchen reciprocated it's healthy concept, with gorgeous clean white walls, contrasted with pale green sofas, and eye-catching copper lights overlooking the entire room. The vibe was very modern, pristine, but most importantly welcoming. There were potted plants scattered all through out the room, which further enhanced the natural ambiance.
We both decided to order a delicious, juicy smoothie to start with. I opted for the Acai Energy, as just lately I've been feeling more tired than usual and thought that I could do with a nice natural energy boost.
This luscious, raspberry coloured, juice is packed with mouth-watering goodness, in the form of; mixed berries, orange, acai, banana and green tea powder. It went down a treat! Even more tempting, they offer a selection of healthy cocktails, and though I passed on them this time, it was only early afternoon after all! I definitely have them high on my list if we're ever back in Canterbury.
We browsed the menu extensively, as there was just so much to choose from! After an agonising decision, we made our choices. Stephen opted for the Chilli Bean, a fiery chipotle chilli bean, topped with creamy avocado and zingy jalapenos, served with a pot of sweet potato fries. I had a little food envy when it was first brought out, the presentation is immaculate with the mini pan and pot, food for the eyes and the mouth! That was of course until my main was brought out.
I had chose a 'skinny pizza,' all the delicious taste of a regular pizza, but a lot better for you! Who doesn't love a good pizza after all. The base was thin and crispy, topped with delicious, fresh onions, tomatoes, rocket, jalapenos, nuts and the perfect smattering of cheese.
All of the meals listed on the menu have the calories, carbs, protein and fat listed on them too, which is really useful, particularly if you're into fitness or weight training.
Even if you're not weight training or calorie counting, the fresh, well presented, tasty food is something not to be missed at Skinny Kitchen. Their menu aims to cater for all types of diet whether that be vegetarian, high protein or low carb. If you're ever in Canterbury I would highly recommend a visit, even if it's just for a quick juice stop! Want to find out more? You can have a look at their website here.
29 October 2016
I was recently sent these gorgeous Halloween face stickers from Johnny Loves Rosie. I've always been a huge fan of Halloween, I enjoy snuggling up with a scary movie on the TV and a frothy hot chocolate in hand, or having pumpkin carving competitions with our families.
Recently I've been seeing everyone's amazing creations on Instagram, and really wanted to join in the action. However, I just don't have the tools, or the creativity to replicate them. This is what I adore about these Sugar Skull stickers from Johnny Loves Rosie, they are easy to use and really effective.
It literally took me minutes to apply these stickers to my face. I followed the layout exactly as it was displayed, which made the whole process even easier. You simply peel them individually off the plastic, then gently press them down where you want them on your face.
The detail and design is impeccable, and despite my made up face they stuck on fairly well! The red gems around my eyes are my favourite thing about the look, they catch the light perfectly and really add that extra something to the overall look.
Whether you're going 'out out', or just cosying up at home in your fancy dress, I would definitely recommend these face stickers.
Johnny Loves Rosie not only do intricate Halloween accessories, they also do stunning jewellery and accessories. I definitely have their gorgeous chokers on my wish list!
If you fancy checking them out for yourself you can find them at http://www.johnny-loves-rosie.com/
What are you dressing up as this Halloween?
© Life in the fashion lane | All rights reserved.